To be successful at losing weight, you need to figure out what will give you an ongoing, burning desire to succeed. You need to tap your inner motivation. By understanding what motivates you, you’ll be better able to follow through with your eating and fitness plan.
Consider the benefits of losing weight and staying fit listed below. Rank your top three reasons, with 1 as your most important. Rank more than three if you want, and add your own reasons if they’re not on the list. Post the list where you’ll see it often.
- Look better
- Feel better
- Feel comfortable in my clothes
- Improve my physical stamina
- Improve my self-image and self-confidence
- Improve my outlook on life
- Increase my energy
- Be a role model for my family
- Manage high blood pressure
- Improve my cholesterol
- Prevent or manage diabetes
- Reduce joint pain
- Prevent or reduce lower-back pain
- Improve my sleep
- Improve my quality of life
- Increase my life expectancy
Sometimes temptation to indulge in certain foods or skipping a workout will be greater than your desire to lose weight. During these difficult moments, reflect on the top reasons why you are making healthy lifestyle changes. It won’t always be easy, but keep in mind the important fact that you will never regret making good decisions!